Monday, April 14, 2014

L is for The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun

The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun by Sebastien Japrisot is an exciting book. Newsweek described it as: "A chilling, baffling psychological fooler. . . Sparkles with all the juicy terror that can attack the heart and body." Le Monde said: "Sebastien Japrisot is a magician who gives voice to silence and lays out truth naked on the page." My goodness. Who wouldn't keep this book forever and ever? Except I'd dearly love to give it away.

My sole reason for hanging on, tooth and nail, to this "fooler" is that I want my husband to read it. And I can tell you, forcing someone else to read a book is not an easy task. I have placed it nicely by his bedside. Packed it in his carry-on luggage for long flights. Set it out by the mini-bar in foreign hotels. Put it on top of How to Build a High-Performance Mazda Miata MX-5. I even bought two very attractive bookmarks which I placed inside the cover: one from the Picasso museum in Barcelona (where of course the book was waiting to be read back at the hotel), the other a 3-D scene of the African veldt with moving lions, zebras, giraffes, and a baby rhino! I mean, how hard is to NOT read this book?? It's not like it's cold spinach  with slugs.

Here's the opening:
"I have never seen the sea.
The black-and-white tiled floor sways like water a few inches from my eyes.
It hurts so much I could die.
I am not dead."

At this point you may be asking why I put all this effort into a single book. The answer is simple: my husband will like it. Once he starts reading, he will LOVE IT! I know this with every fiber of my being. I refuse to part with this book it is read cover to cover by DH. And if he doesn't hurry up I just might read it again myself. After all, it's a very good book. Maybe you'd like to read it too?


4 comments:

cleemckenzie said...

I've never heard the term "cooler" in a boo review before . Very interesting. Makes me curious.

Charlotte Fairchild said...

So books on tape might be another avenue? Tying DH to the bed and reading it `a la Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon (sp) is another avenue you haven't tried!

Valerie Storey said...

LOL, Charlotte! You hit the nail right on the head.

Valerie Storey said...

Curious is good :)