Friday, October 31, 2014

Let's Go: Taiwan Trip with Artist Ming Franz



Spring Garden; Splash Ink Watercolor
with Gouache on Mulberry Paper

Happy Halloween! I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since my last blog post. Put it down to an overly-busy day job; going out of town for a bit; too many birthday parties to attend (including my blog's 6th anniversary--6 years!); getting ready for NaNoWriMo 2014 (cannot believe I've signed up again); and of course the fantastic Handsprings SCBWI conference here in Albuquerque last weekend--an amazing, and very tiring, event. I'll try to post some of my impressions from the conference next week, but for now my big news is:

I'm going to Taiwan next year! Best of all, there's still some room left on the tour for more friends of the arts to join up. Here's a sampling of info from the trip brochure:


Art and Scenic Tour of Taiwan with Ming Franz
March 25th to April 7, 2015

Ming Franz is an artist who is a native of Taiwan. This is her second tour leading artists to Taiwan. This tour will take you to visiting museums, art galleries, art studios and beautiful tropical Taiwan. 2 days flight, 12 days tour. 

Fees includes round trip air fare from San Francisco to Taipei, 12 days 4-5 star hotels, restaurants, tour bus and guide, all park and museum fees and tax, also basic medical insurance. Total is $3500 USD.  


Please go to her website to see the travel itinerary at www.mingfranzstudio.com, click on "Events" section. Feel free to contact her for questions at mingfranz555@gmail.com or 505-281-4956.


So what do you think?? Fun, or what?

I met Ming Franz last year when I took her Splash Ink Watercolor class through the UNM continuing education department. The class literally changed my entire approach to art-making, allowing me to be much more comfortable with who I am as an artist, rather than trying to constantly live up to my often unrealistic expectations. I know this is going to be a wonderful trip; I've never had the opportunity to visit any part of Asia, and I've never had the chance to seriously travel with other artists. I can't imagine what it must be like to be allowed to sketch unhindered and at leisure--usually my experiences have been people telling me to a) hurry up, and b) why can't you just take a photograph and draw at home? 

I really can't wait to start packing. In the meantime, we still have several months ahead, and I'm sure there's plenty to do till then, beginning, of course, with National Novel Writing Month tomorrow. Start flexing those plot muscles!


A Little Bird Told Me; Splash Ink Watercolor
 with Gouache on Mulberry Paper

Tip of the Day: Even if you can't make the trip, you can still be an "armchair traveler" by reading Ming's book, Splash Ink with Watercolor; Looking East, Painting West and visiting her website. Her artwork will inspire you on many levels. Personally I think they make amazing writing prompts. Just place your characters in one of her settings and let the magic begin!

3 comments:

Charlotte Fairchild said...

Beautiful watercolors! I want to go to Scotland Isle of Skye! I hope you have fun on your trip!!! I am signing up today. I don't know if I will have enough steam or time for this month. I do have ideas about writing about aliens!

My two foreign exchange students are having fun with the haunted houses and trick or treating and dressing up. The girls were Batman last night! I found pajamas with footies with the batman logo on the front.

Sue Blazier said...

Valerie, I posted this blog entry on Facebook. Nice article about our trip! Love your painting.

B~Natrelle said...

Hello there. I love to travel, but I'm going to wait for Paradise when it'll be free and safe! Hope you have a wonderful trip! Congratulations too on your Blogoversary. Just making a short pit stop from the A-Z Road Trip!

Entrepreneurial Goddess