Thursday, January 1, 2015

Wishing You a Wonderful New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone! May 2015 be a fantastic and inspired year for all of us. This morning I woke up to snow, a beautiful and refreshing sight, especially on a day off. The "blank slate" symbolism of seeing vast fields of white outside my windows has also been the perfect backdrop for reviewing the past year as I gear up to experience the new. Some of my 2014 highlights included:
  1. After a long absence, I rejoined the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. This time I enrolled myself as both a writer and as an illustrator, a rather bold step, but one that has opened many new possibilities for the future.
  2. I must have been in the mood to join groups, because I also became a member of the Colored Pencil Society of America.
  3. April found me blogging every day for the 2014 April blog challenge. A fun exercise, but it also taught me how hard it is to be a "daily blogger."
  4. I moved into a new house! We're still in the middle of remodelling, but every day we get a little bit closer to being "finished" (whatever that means . . .).
  5. Following through with my goal of illustrating, I took a fantastic summer class on "Drawing Cats and Dogs." I learned so many valuable tips, especially on the importance of keeping a reference notebook I can take with me wherever I go (no excuses not to draw).
  6. October found me at the SCBWI Albuquerque conference,  having a grand time meeting editors and fellow writers.
  7. Which then prompted me to write my first picture book for submission--a task I'll be starting this month.
  8. For some crazy reason I signed up for NaNoWriMo again, and actually reached 50K!
  9. At long last I obtained jewelry tools and supplies and can now officially call myself a "beader." 
  10. I started taking a Saturday morning drawing class--which means I have to get up on Saturday mornings (brrrr.) But I love the weekly discipline of joining other artists and focusing on a set project.
  11. My writer's group continued to meet regularly and happily at our new home: the Albuquerque Museum. What a treat it is to go there for writing, friendship, and coffee every other week!
  12. I finished all my edits on my new novel, The Abyssal Plain, preparing it for 2015 submission. Whew.
Reading through this list makes me both happy and already a little nostalgic. The year was imbued with such a sense of new beginnings and creative purpose. I have yet to set my goals and plans for 2015, but they're something I'll be working on this afternoon. As soon as I narrow them down to a do-able list, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks again for visiting--Happy New Year!

Tip of the Day: New Year's Day is such a great time to make notes and road-maps for the days ahead. Several years ago I decided to turn the whole idea of  "New Year's resolutions" into one that's more about goal-setting rather than being overly-strict (and restrictive) with myself. This year I'm going to limit myself to just three goals--anything else after that can happen, or not, depending on my time, energy, and circumstances. With that I'm inviting you to join me--what are your three goals for 2015? Feel free to list them under the "comments' section. And have a cup of cocoa while you're there--that's what I'll be doing.

1 comment:

Charlotte Fairchild said...

I have been sick this year (2021) with a sinus infection and one tooth removed. Because of being sick, I sleep more and sit around more. (I am dizzy.)

Recently I bought 3 kiddy lit books from Jeri Landers. I hope you check her out, Valerie. A friend of mine is 80 and he contracted Covid-19 and is now in memory care. He is the writer of Doc Hollywood, the movie. My husband's manager, his son and wife as well, have Covid-19, so 3 people who work in my husband's department are sick. I don't know if they took the vaccine yet.

Did you publish any books that you illustrated for children? I will look you up on Amazon. I don't know if I am following you on Amazon. You may want to follow me. I have a finished book gthat needs to be edited. I haven't done any editing of it, and when I do, it will be self published again.

Be well, or as I used to tell my friend, Be Whale!