Tuesday, April 26, 2016

#AtoZChallenge, V is for Vision Board


If I wasn't participating in the #AtoZChallenge this year, I think my vision board for the month would be a nice, white, blank page--completely empty and as restful as white sheets on a freshly-made bed. But that would be totally boring for you, my dear readers, so for today's post I've tried to bring you something a little more colorful. And after assembling this mini-board full of travel and art supplies, I do feel re-inspired, re-charged, and re-energized to make it all the say to Z (only 4 more posts to go!).

Vision boards have always played a large part in my life and my journals, and I can testify to them always coming true. Always. Whatever I've collaged and focused upon has entered my life in one way or another, and often with much better results than I ever allowed for in my original vision. 

Some of the boards I've made have included:

  • Houses and cities I've wanted to live in. (Best example: When I was fourteen I made a collage for my Home Economics class describing how I wanted to live in London one day. Nine years later I was living and working there--and in a flat almost identical to the one I had collaged for my teacher!)
  • Trips I have wanted to take.
  • Work and teaching opportunities.
  • Creative work: manuscripts, paintings, drawings, pottery and jewelry I've aspired to make.
  • Getting published and selling my work.

Friends have told me that their vision boards have brought them all of the above and more, things such as improved relationships, better health and well-being, longed-for pets, and new jobs with better financial stability. Dream it, believe it, and write it down with some great images to accompany your inner vision . . .  I can't think of a better use for an art journal!

Whether you choose to make a large or small-sized journal-page "board," keep in mind that it doesn't have to include your entire bucket list. In fact, sometimes it's more effective to create a single page or section of your journal for each individual goal or aspiration. The most important thing is to dream big. After all, the imagination has no limits, so why should you? Go for it!

Tip of the Day: If you don't mind the chance of letting other people see your dreams, the cover of your journal can be the perfect spot for your vision board. Not only will it make an otherwise dull cover brighter and more interesting, it will help you to visualize your forward path every time you see your journal.

3 comments:

Luana Krause said...

I'm a fan of vision boards. When I work on certain projects, I pin up pictures, quotes, drawings, whatever, to inspire. I'm a fan of Pinterest, but having a REAL board is far better. I'm enjoying your blog theme.

Valerie Storey said...

Thanks so much for dropping by, Luana. Glad to meet a kindred spirit! I love Pinterest too, but I also find it a little overwhelming--so many pics to choose from and all so incredibly beautiful. And of course I have to look at it all online, rather than in a quiet section of my living room lazing back in an armchair, LOL!

Tara Tyler said...

I love this idea! I'm always looking for ways to get to know students at the beginning of the year to help engage them - this Vision board idea will give more insight than just the what do you like to do now - it will make them dig deep and think about their future and then I can help them get there! i love it!

The Really Real Housewives